Ep.20 Danny Lennon: Chrononutrition, circadian rhythms and metabolic health
Danny is the founder of Sigma Nutrition, a company providing educational, science-based content on nutrition & health sciences. Of this content, Danny is perhaps most well-known for being the host of the top-ranked podcast, Sigma Nutrition Radio. Danny has a MSc. Degree in Nutritional Sciences from University College Cork, in addition to an undergraduate degree in biology and physics. He uses his scientific background to read and interpret the latest nutrition research, before communicating the key points to his audience. In addition to his science background, Danny has also worked as a nutrition practitioner for several years. He has presented internationally at conferences and seminars across several European cities, as well as in Australia and the United States.
In this episode we cover:
- What is chrononutrition and why is Danny so into it
- How does our body "keep track" of time
- What are the health issues that can arise from misalignment of circadian rhythms
- How certain chrononutrition practices can improve health markers even without weight loss
- The case for eating more calories, earlier in the day to promote weight loss and health
- How meal timing can affect how much we move and how much we want to eat
- Where do time restricted feeding or intermittent fasting fit in?
- Some pragmatic ways to apply chronotnutrition based on what the current research indicates
- Occasions where following chrononutrition based practices might not be optimal