Ep.38 Richie Kirwan: Muscle loss, body-fat types and metabolic health
A slightly different podcast this week as I'm the guest.
I was honoured to speak with Astrid Naranjo, otherwise known as the Antidiet_dietitian. We spoke about my PhD research into sarcopenia, sarcopenic obesity, body fat distribution and metabolic health and Astrid was good enough to allow me to share it as a podcast.
Astrid is an Accredited Practicing Dietitian (APD) originally from Venezuela but now practicing in Southport Private Hospital, Australia. Astrid has a masters degree in Nutrition and Dietetic Practice from Bond University, Gold Coast.
In this episode we cover:
- What is sarcopenia and when does it start?
- What causes muscle loss as we age?
- What is anabolic resistance and why do we need more protein as we age?
- What is the relationship between muscle loss and conditions like heart disease, diabetes and osteoporosis?
- How can sarcopenia lead to an increase in body fat?
- Why is sarcopenic obesity such a major public health issue?
- How much muscle can people lose from their 20s to their 80s?
- Why is the loss of muscle strength even more important?
- How can menopause affect muscle loss in women?
- Why does fat distribution change in women after menopause and how does it affect health?
- What role can HRT play in metabolic health?
- What is inflammation, what is its role in disease and why the term used too frequently in popular media?
- What can lead to chronic, low-grade inflammation?
- How we store fat, fat cells and its role inflammation.
- What is dysregulated fat tissue and how can it lead to diabetes and heart disease?
- Are all people with a normal body weight healthy and are all people with obesity unhealthy?
- What is metabolic healthy obesity and is it common?
- Why can some people with normal body weight be metabolically unhealthy?
- What is visceral fat?
- The importance of lifestyle change for improving metabolic health
- What are some of the exercise options for people (especially those with mobility problems) to improve their metabolic health?
- Should we argue about whether cardio or resistance exercise is better?
- The importance of finding a type of exercise that you love
- My research into how COVID-19 lockdown may affect food and physical activity and its effects on sarcopenia