Ep.31 Jonny Landels: How to build habits for long-lasting change
Founder and operator of Next Step Nutrition, Jonny's mission is to help everyone understand nutrition through keeping things simple. He works 1:1 with clients closely to help them change their behaviours to make lasting change and live a healthy, balanced life. He also runs a podcast which is centred around educating people on nutrition and fitness from some of the greatest minds of the fitness industry, which you can find by searching Next Step Espresso.
In this episode we cover:
- The difference between knowledge and information and the ability to actually apply that information long-term
- Different types of behaviour change techniques
- What is cognitive behavioural therapy and what are its uses?
- The active role of the practitioner in helping the client change their thought patterns around their behaviours
- What are some of the steps in the process of behaviour change
- The importance of understanding as much as possible about a client in order to tailor advice to their specific situations.
- Why there are no one-size-fits-all approaches to behaviour change
- The importance of starting small with easily achievable, client-directed, goals
- Helping eager clients temper their approach and desire to change to make it more sustainable
- Is there a set amount of time required to change habits
- The importance of managing people's expectations around their goals
- Is there a need to change our mentality and identity when it comes to long term behaviour changes
- The role our family, friends and social circles play in our desires to be healthy