Ep.23 Marika Day: Irritable Bowel Syndrome, food, stress and lifestyle
Marika Day is an Accredited Practising Dietitian and Nutritionist with a special interest in Irritable Bowel Syndrome and gut health, which came after her own diagnosis of Coeliac Disease. With a strong evidence based and no BS approach to nutrition she has helped hundreds of people around the world improve their symptoms and quality of life with her online IBS and Gut Health Program and one-on-one coaching. Marika is passionate about helping people live their healthiest, happiest lives and believes nutrition should be about freedom and health rather than restriction and fear.
In this episode we cover:
- How Marika's diagnosis with Coeliac disease lead her to pursue a career in nutrition/dietetics
- An overview of Irritable Bowel Syndrome and it's symptoms
- The importance of and difficulty in correctly diagnosing IBS
- The importance of guided help from an experienced nutritionist/dietitian
- The differences between IBS Constipation and Diarrhea types
- Some of the potential causes of IBS as well as the role of stress
- Individualisation when it comes to helping people with the lifestyle changes necessary for helping IBS
- What is a low-FODMAP diet and what is it's role in treating IBS
- What medications are potentially useful for people with IBS
- The role of exercise and meditation in managing IBS
- Why are we hearing about IBS more frequently these days? What role is social media playing?
- Can food intolerance or microbiome tests help diagnose IBS?
- Marika's own online programme to help people manage IBS